If your family lives in any of the following situations you qualify for certian rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act:
1. In a shelter.
2. In a motel or campground due to the lack of an alternative adequate accommodation.
3. In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station.
4. Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship.
Your eligible children have the right to:
* Receive a free, appropriate public edcation.
* Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
* Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers realted documents.
* Enroll in the local school: or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference and is feasible.
* At your request receive tansportation up to one hour to and from the school of origin.
* Receive educational services comparable to those provided to the other students, according to your children's needs.
240 Crowell Road
Chatham, MA 02633
732 Main Street
Harwich, MA 02645
508-771-5400 Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
HAC is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit and offers a continuum of housing programs that evolve with the changing needs of the community. HAC educates, trains and counsels with HAC’s consumer education department; weatherizes and conducts energy rehabs for low-income and market-rate properties; develops affordable housing for seniors, families and individuals; and provides an opportunity to become a homeowner with a full-service nonprofit real estate office.
HAC also provides emergency shelter and homelessness prevention assistance for individuals and families; administration of the largest housing subsidy program in our region; and family self sufficiency and employment services.
The Homeless Prevention Council provides professional case management services that give extensive counseling and guidance to those at risk of becoming homeless. This aspect of the client services includes: advocacy and access to housing programs, funding, budgeting and negotiation for rent and mortgage.
181 North Street
Hyannis, MA 02601