English Language Arts
English Language Arts Vision Statement
We believe that strong literacy skills--reading, writing, speaking, and listening --are essential in developing responsible, self-motivated learners. We support students’ curiosity and critical thinking skills by providing diverse and relevant interactive opportunities and cross-curricular connections. We nurture creativity, compassion, and empathy through thoughtful collaborative learning and a challenging curriculum. Differentiated instruction as well as complex and engaging texts which include increasingly rich vocabulary are utilized to increase student interest and enjoyment in reading and learning. Monomoy Regional School District graduates will have effective communication skills that will enable them to be successful global citizens in the 21st century.
Students will be able to independently use their learning to:
- Communicate ideas effectively in writing to suit a particular audience and purpose.
- Communicate ideas effectively in discourse and oral presentations to suit various audiences and purposes.
- Develop the habit of reading for enjoyment.
- Read and comprehend a range of increasingly complex texts and media written for various audiences and purposes.
- Expand their vocabulary and knowledge of English conventions in order to learn and convey precise understandings of concepts.
- Understand the power of words and images to transform lives and provide insight into the experiences of others and understanding of cultures and historical periods.
- Generate open ended questions and seek answers through critical analysis of text, media, interviews, and/or observations.